There are different face shapes due to genetics, ethnicity, age, and lifestyle. Understanding your face shape is a great place to start when looking to change up your hairstyle.
So how does a haircut impact your face shape?
A well-chosen hairstyle can enhance your best facial features while minimizing any less desirable features.
It can help balance your facial proportions, creating a more aesthetically pleasing look. For instance, a short haircut can make a long face appear shorter, while a longer style can elongate a rounder face. It can be used to highlight your bone structure and add definition to your face, for example, layers can help define cheekbones, while bangs can draw attention to your eyes.
So how can I determine my face shape?
Pull your hair back and away from your face, so that your entire face is visible. Stand in front of a mirror with good lighting. Look closely at the overall shape of your face, paying attention to your forehead, cheekbones, jawline, and chin. Compare your observations to the below face shapes…You may even find it useful to use a ruler for this process.
- Oval: Your face length is greater than the width of your cheekbones, and your forehead is wider than your jawline.
- Round: Your face is nearly as wide as it is long, with full cheeks and a rounded chin.
- Square: Your forehead, cheekbones, and jawline are all about the same width, with a strong, squared jaw.
- Heart: Your forehead is wider than your cheekbones, and your chin tapers to a point.
- Diamond: Your cheekbones are the widest part of your face, with a narrower forehead and jawline.
- Oblong: Your face is longer than it is wide, with a long, straight cheek line.
In summary, a haircut is crucial for your facial shape as it can enhance your best features, balance your proportions, define your bone structure, and complement your personal style. A good haircut can make a significant difference in your appearance and overall confidence level. Using the above guidelines and working with your hairstylist to identify your face shape and create a look that is best for your features is the perfect place to start.